So I was really trying to contain my excitement, and it lasted all of one week. I was going to save my favorite recipe for week 6 of the series as a grand hurrah, but here we are at week 2 and I caved. I honestly was just going to do cauliflower fried rice since it very much is the star of the dish, but I promised you meatless meals and under no circumstance will I participate in under-feeding people. So I paired it up with my favorite dish that my husband makes – teriyaki salmon. Needless to say, I’m excited about this dish.
If my ranting and raving hasn’t convinced you to give this a try yet, let me finish with this– my son asks for the “yummy rice” over any other meal, and is completely clueless to the fact that he is not eating rice at all. He’s more excited about the fact he doesn’t have to eat any vegetables for dinner. *insert evil mom laugh.
Teriyaki Salmon with Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1 – 2 lbs salmon
- 3 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 medium head of cauliflower (about 4 cups)
- 2 eggs
- 4 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup carrots (about two medium carrots)
- 1 bunch green onions (chopped, + some for garnish, optional)
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds (+ some for garnish, optional)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF, and line a cookie sheet with foil and grease.
- For salmon, combine teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, and olive oil in a large mixing bowl and mix until sugar is dissolved. Season salmon with salt and pepper, add to bowl and let marinade at room temperature.
- Cut cauliflower into florets, and chop in food processor. You want a large rice/hashbrown consistency. If it looks like parmesan that comes out of a dispenser at a pizza parlor, you have gone too far!
- Place salmon onto greased cookie sheet, and placed in preheated oven for about 13 mins to 15 mins (145ºF internal temp).
- For rice, in a large frying pan, melt butter and add half the chopped garlic and cook until fragrant, about one minute. Add carrots and peas, and sauté for about 2 mins.
- Add cauliflower, green onions, and sesame seeds to pan and continue to cook for about 6 minutes until cauliflower rice is tender, but not soggy.
- Add soy sauce, salt, and pepper to rice, stir until mixed and keep warm until salmon is ready.
- It is important to add salt last so that the cauliflower doesn’t release it’s moisture, causing it to steam rather than sauté. This will give you a much closer consistency to rice.
- Remove salmon from oven, slice into about 2-3 inch pieces, and plate. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
2 thoughts on “Week 2 Meatless Meals: Teriyaki Salmon with Cauliflower Fried Rice”
it looks delicious!! I looove cauliflower rice! 😀
LikeLiked by 1 person